The PhD in Marine Biology is offered through UP Dilliman's Marine Science Institute. Students will select from three concentrations: marine biology, marine physical sciences and marine biotechnology.
These are designed to introduce the major divisions of marine science (marine biology, marine physical sciences and marine biotechnology) to all graduate students in their first year.
The crucial task of designing a program of study will be done both by the student and his Program Committee. Electives can be chosen from among graduate courses offered by the Institute and by other units of the college and of the University to prepare the student to competently pursue his chosen field of research.
The spirit of seminar is to expose the students to the latest research, issues and topics not necessary of their field. In addition, the course shall be conducted in a manner corresponding to a one-unit loading and therefore recommended to be restricted to readings, public presentations and discussions. Finally, students residing outside of Metro Manila and restricted from access to attend, may still enroll the 1 unit seminar course. These students will then be tasked to submit to the seminar instructor a critique on each of the papers that were assigned for class discussion.
PhD students shall complete one seminar course every other year after 12 units of courses have been credited to his/her program of study.
A full list of available PhD courses can be found here
Proceso de aplicación
The applicant needs to submit the following no later than six weeks before the registration period of each semester. Registration for the first semester starts around the first week of June while for the 2nd semester, it starts around the first week of November:
- Application letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Two duly accomplished application forms including a thoughtfully completed Statement of Purpose
- The original and duplicate copy of the undergraduate and graduate official transcript of records
- Duly accomplished recommendation forms from two former professors and/or supervisors
- Submit two if both have doctorate degrees
- However, submit three if only one has a Doctorate degree, and the other two have a Master’s degree
- Payment of application fees (non-refundable)
- For foreign applicants, whose native language and medium of instruction are not English,
- Certification of English Proficency (Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL average score of 500).
- Satisfaction of additional University requirements such as a health clearance and other special admission requirements that may be imposed by a Graduate Committee.
Completed applications shall be submitted to the Graduate Office of the College of Science. The Institute’s Graduate Committee evaluates applications and endorses acceptance to the Dean.
Oportunidades de financiamiento/becas
Available scholarships can be found here
Admission into the MSI Graduate Program requires:
- A high degree of intellectual capacity and aptitude for research and advanced studies;
- For M.S. Applicants: a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- For Ph.D. Applicants: either a Master of Science degree or its equivalent in relevant fields obtained from a recognized institution of higher learning;
- A weighted average of at least 2.25 or its equivalent in the natural sciences and mathematics in a B.S. degree;
The student’s preparation should include:
- Physics – through thermodynamics and motion;
- Mathematics – through calculus;
- Chemistry – through organic chemistry; and,
- General Biology.
For those who would like to specialize in Marine Biotechnology, elementary biochemistry is required while for those who would like to specialize in the Marine Physical Sciences, Geology 11 is required (they may sit-in/audit) simultaneous with Physical Oceanography and Chemical Oceanography.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)