This is a practical, hands-on course, to teach marine biologists how to make their data Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Re-usable.
In this course we will teach you what it means to make your data FAIR and why you should do this. By making your data FAIR, you are making it easier for others to find and use those data, and hence giving the data a lifetime far beyond what it could otherwise achieve. We will show you how to make your data FAIR with practical examples and sessions, and will hold a "Data FAIRness clinic" in which you can make your own datasets FAIR.
Day 1 + 2:
- Practical understanding of how to make different types of data FAIR by making them Findable online
- Different ways data can be made Accessible
- Making data and metadata Interoperable (everyone can read and understand them)
- Understanding how provenance provides Reusability
- Learning how to make your own data FAIR and publishable with the help of the VLIZ Data Centre
Marine biologists, Ph.D. students (+), future data managers, and lab technicians, anyone who has experience collecting and managing data.
Notes: This is a 3-day course: the first 2 days will be for both onsite and online (remote) participants, while the 3rd day is fully hands-on and will only be for onsite participants.
This course is funded by EMBRC-ERIC and organized by VLIZ and UGent-Marine Training Unit (EMBRC-BE).
Tuition fees: 300 Euros (3 days onsite) and 150 Euros (2 days online).
Nb of available seats: 20 participants (onsite) and 10 (online).
For further details on the syllabus and registration information click More Information button. For any questions on the course, use the Contact button.
Deadline for application: 8 December 2023